Summer comes early when you live in Florida like I do, but it’s not too late for most of you to lose weight and get healthy before the seasons change. You don’t need a personal trainer, or even a gym to to get started with your fitness goals. Here are five easy workout tips that you can do starting this very moment. Put away the sweaters and start making peace with tank tops.
1. Exercise every day. With summer coming, you no longer have the luxury to pick and choose when you go to the gym and get some exercise in. Get yourself in shape by working out regularly. It does not have to include cardio on a treadmill or a weight machine. Burn calories and lose weight by going for a brisk walk, taking a swim or playing a game of tennis.
2. Eat whole, fresh foods. Lose weight faster by saying goodbye to the heavy soups and creamy sauces of winter comfort food. It’s time to lighten your plate with healthy meals including fresh fruits and veggies straight from the garden or your local farmer’s market, as well as lean proteins like chicken and fish. Now is not the time to overcomplicate your eating. Keep meals healthy and light.
3. Get outside. You are not going to lose weight by watching television or playing games on the computer. Stay active, burn calories and get some vitamin D when the weather gets warmer. Go to the beach, take the kids to the park and spend your weekends taking bike rides and going on hikes. Get in touch with nature and start slimming down without even realizing it.
4. Get enough sleep. This is essential in staying healthy. With the days getting longer and the sun rising sooner, it can be tempting to sleep less. However, in order to lose weight and stay healthy and slim, you need to get plenty of rest. Not only does it help your body recharge and process the day, it also keeps you from making extra trips to the fridge or pantry. Aim for eight hours every night. If that’s impossible, set a standard of six hours of sleep every night. Your body and skin will be much healthier.
5. Treat yourself once in a while. It will be a lot easier to lose weight, stay healthy and eat right if you allow yourself a frozen yogurt or a tangy and tasty Italian ice every now and then. If you don’t indulge every once in a while within reason, you risk binging or overeating when the deprivation catches up to you.